MILO, the official chocolate malt beverage for Kuala Lumpur 2017, cemented its support for the 29th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games and the 9th Para ASEAN Games in a ceremony hosting the Kuala Lumpur Torch Run 2017 (Torch Run) at Nestlé (Malaysia) Berhad, Mutiara Damansara. The iconic Torch Run ceremony followed closely on the heels MILO’s recent #BersatuKitaTeguh campaign launch.
The Torch Run has been making its way across Malaysia since May 2017 before the ceremony at Nestlé Malaysia. This is one of the final stops before its final destination at the opening ceremony of KL2017 on 19 August 2017.
The ceremony at Nestlé Malaysia is a declaration of MILO’s commitment and continuing support for sports and aims to capture the spirit of unity, represented in the diversity of its torch bearers. The torch was borne by individuals who have played a pivotal role in the growth of MILO and sports in Malaysia, including some of its longest serving staff to Malaysian heroes of the past, present, and future.
“The torch and its undying flame is a symbol of our burning passion for sports, as we encourage the country to come together and cheer on our athletes who will be competing in the coming Kuala Lumpur 2017. Joined by those who have helped make MILO what it is today, we carry with us the nation’s pride and hope, and celebrate our rich history with Malaysia, sports, and its people,” said Philomena Tan, Business Executive Officer, MILO Business Unit, Nestlé Malaysia.
Taking turns to carry the torch across the 500m distance, the torch bearers and runners at the ceremony included:
1. Mohd Nasir Bin Abd Kadir, Field Promotion Operator, representing Malaysia’s muchloved Abang MILO. He has been bringing joy to school children by delivering delicious, nutritious MILO from his MILO truck during school sports days across the country for the past 35 years.
2. Ismail Bin Mohd Dali & Norhisham B Mat Salleh, Production, Nestlé Malaysia’s MILO Factory. Both have played a vital role in overseeing the MILO production line for 40
years and 24 years respectively, ensuring that Malaysians get the best quality, as well as delicious and nutritious MILO. Their commitment and dedication over the years has made MILO what it is today.
3. Ng Ping Loong, Sports Marketing Manager, who has been with the MILO team for the past 33 years. He has been a key figure in helping MILO nurture young and budding athletes through the Majlis Sukan Sekolah Sekolah Malaysia (MSSM), and has watched many Malaysian heroes succeed throughout their sporting career. Ng Ping Loong has been following and supporting Malaysian athletes in various games across the globe.
4. Datuk Marina Chin, Chef-De-Mission Kuala Lumpur 2017 Accompanied by: – M. Kumarasen, former Malaysian cyclist – Dato’ Mirnawan Nawawi, former Malaysian hockey player – Robin Ho, former Malaysian Wushu Exponent
5. Joel Van Huizen, Malaysian Hockey Player Accompanied by: Diana Bong, National Wushu Exponent
6. Yasshmita Jadish Kumar, Tunas Harapan Puteri MSSM, and Joachim Chuah Han Wen, Tunas Harapan Putera MSSM – two bright stars of the Malaysian grassroots squash arena, who have been part of MSSM for the past 5 years. They are accompanied by the team of future Malaysian athletes who will be competing in their first SEA Games this year.
7. Philomena Tan, Business Executive Officer, MILO Business Unit, Nestlé Malaysia
The Torch Run ceremony is in essence a nod to MILO’s contribution of over 60 years towards championing the nation’s grassroots sports development through partnerships and efforts such as MSSM. This provides youths with a platform to discover their sporting potential, hone their skills and abilities, and learn life values such as teamwork, perseverance, and unity. In that spirit, MILO is inspiring the nation to come together for the Kuala Lumpur 2017 to cheer on our sportsmen with positive messages and words of encouragements, giving them the energy to go further. Fans and followers of our athletes can share their support on social media, via Instagram and Twitter with #BersatuKitaTeguh or #StrongerTogether.
For more information, please visit www.milo.com.my